Best Ever Banana Bread
I have such fond memories of growing up eating delicious homemade banana bread that it was one of the first recipes I sough to perfect so my children could also experience this essential simple pleasure. Plus, there is nothing quite like the smell of fresh banana bread wafting through the house. This recipe captures everything I love about banana bread, a not overly sweet treat that accentuates the natural sweetness of the bananas, soft bread that holds up just well enough to hold a bit more butter, and a bread that won’t leave your fingers slippery with grease.
Banana bread is also very flexible and can be made into banana muffins, or can be the foundation for a sweeter treat if you add chocolate morsels to it. But there is little need to get fancy with this bread because it is absolutely satisfying just as it is.
Ingredients, makes one loaf
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the melted butter and mix
- Mix in beaten egg, sugar, and vanilla. Stir gently.
- Sprinkle in baking soda and salt
- Add flour in batches until the wet and dry ingredients are mixed
- Pour batter into buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan
- Bake for 1 hour
- Muffins: bake for 23 minutes
- Chocolate bread or muffins: add 2 tablespoons chocolate morsels
- Egg free: substitute with 1/3 cup of applesauce